A Summer Trifle with Strawberries and Strawberry Purée |
A Summer Trifle with Strawberries and Strawberry Purée
- 5 trifle sponges
- 2 rounded tablespoons strawberry jam
- 4 fl oz (120 ml) Madeira
- 12 oz (350 g) fresh ripe strawberries, thickly sliced
- ½ level tablespoon golden caster sugar
- 1 x 250 g tub mascarpone
- 1 x 500 ml tub fresh ready-made custard (preferablySainsbury’s)
- 1 tablespoon toasted flaked almonds
- 1 vanilla pod
- First of all cut the trifle sponges in half length ways, spread each half with strawberry jam, then re-form them and cut each one into 3 little sandwiches.
- Now arrange them in a 3 pint (1.75 litre) trifle bowl.
- Then make a few stabs in the sponges and sprinkle the Madeira or sherry carefully and evenly over them, then leave it all aside for half an hour so it can soak in.
- After that sprinkle half the strawberries over the top of the trifle sponges, pushing some down in amongst them.
- Then put the rest into a Mini Chopper (see below) or food processor along with the sugar, whiz to a purée then drizzle the purée over the strawberries.
- Meanwhile, empty the custard into a jug, split the vanilla pod length ways and, using a teaspoon, scrape the seeds into the custard and mix together.
- Now empty the mascarpone into a bowl, give it a whisk to soften it, then add the custard, a little at a time, whisking them together till thoroughly blended.
- Next spoon the mixture evenly over the top of the strawberries and lastly sprinkle with toasted flaked almonds.
- Now you need to cover the dish with clingfilm and make sure it is well chilled before serving, up to two hours is ideal.