This Baingan ka bharta recipe is a South Asian vegetarian dish. Baingan bharta is a part of Indian and Pakistani, Maharashtra, Bihar, Orissa, and West Bengali cuisines. Baingan ka bharta is made from eggplant which is grilled over charcoal or direct fire, to infuse the dish with a smoky flavour. Bagara Baingan is also a famous recipe of Asian cuisine.
Baingan ka Bharta Recipe
- Baingan (eggplant) – 1 medium
- Onion – 1 finely chopped
- Tomato – 1 chopped
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Green chili – 1 finely chopped
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Green coriander – chopped (for garnishing)
- Brush baingan (eggplant) with oil, poke 2 or three holes and roast it on a gas burner over medium heat or put in preheated oven on high temperature.
- Bake until the outer skin starts cracking and can be peeled easily.
- When it’s done, cool it and peel off the blackened skin and mash the flesh.
- Heat oil in a pan, fry cumin seeds for 2 sec, then add onion and fry over medium heat until light golden brown.
- Then add ginger garlic, red chili powder, turmeric powder and salt and stir.
- Then add tomatoes and green chilies, cook until tender.
- Now add mashed baingan (eggplant), fry 5 to 6 minutes over medium heat.
- Garnish baingan bharta with green coriander and serve with boiled rice, chapattis or paratha.