Chicken and Brown Rice is a great dish for the whole family, this all-in-one meal is a smart way to use up the vegetables you probably already have on hand. Cooking the chicken, onion, and celery together creates a flavorful base for the rice to simmer in. You can change the vegetables according to your taste and choice.
Chicken and Brown Rice
- Skin-on chicken thighs – 4 (6 to 8 ounces each)
- Brown rice – 1 cup (soaked for 20 min)
- Olive oil – 1 tbsp
- Garlic cloves – 2 chopped
- Coarse salt – to taste
- Ground pepper – to taste
- Large onion – 1 (cut into 8 wedges)
- Celery stalks – 2 (cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces)
- Medium carrots – 2 (cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces)
- Bay leaf – 1
- Green chilies – 2 chopped
- Heat up oil in a large heavy pot over medium-high.
- Then apply salt and pepper on chicken and put it in the pot, skin side down.
- Cook until golden brown on both sides, 10 to 12 minutes total.
- Now add garlic, onion and celery on chicken.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook 20 minutes.
- Add carrots, bay leaf, green chilies and 2 cups of water.
- Now add rice and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low.
- Cover and cook until rice absorbs almost all the liquid.
- Leave on dum for 10 minutes, then serve.