Chocolate Chip Ice Cream |
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 200 g / 7 oz chocolate, chopped or grated
- 250 ml / 9 fl oz milk
- 3 eggs yolks
- 90 g / 3 oz sugar
- 250 ml / 9 fl oz double cream, lightly whipped
- 150 g / 5 oz finely chopped chocolate
- Stir the chopped or grated chocolate into the milk in a small, heavy-based saucepan and stir over a gently heat until the chocolate melts.
- Put the egg yolks into a bowl with the sugar and beat until thick and creamy.
- Add chocolate milk and beat. Return the chocolate mixture to the saucepan and stir continuously over a moderate heat until the mixture is thick and will coat the back of a spoon
- Strain the chocolate custard into a bowl and cool in the refrigerator.
- When quite cold, fold in whipped double cream.
- Pour into ice trays and freeze until the mixture begins to set around the edges.
- Pour into a bowl and beat.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Return the ice-cream to the ice trays and freeze for 30 minutes.
- Repeat the beating and freezing method every 30 minutes, until the ice-cream is really thick.
- Freeze until firm.