Choley Bhaturey: English - Urdu Recipe
Choley Bhaturey: English – Urdu Recipe
Ingredients for Choley
- 1 cup of Chick Peas (Kabuli Chana) (soaked overnight in warm water)
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- ½” piece of Ginger (Adrak) (grated)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Paste
- 1 Tea Bag (optional – this is to give the black colour , as in restaurants )
- ½ tsp. of Cumin Seeds
- 2 tsp. of Red Chilli Powder ( to taste)
- ¼ tsp. of Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp. of Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp. of Cumin Powder
- Salt (to taste)
- 2 tsp. of Chana Masala
- 2 tsp. of Dry Mango Powder (Aamchoor Powder)
- 2 tbsp. of Cooking Oil
- 1/2 cup Tomato Paste
- Pressure cook the chick peas with the tea bag for 3 whistles until they are soft.
- Drain and set aside.
- Discard the tea bag.
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the cumin seeds.
- When the seeds crackle, add the onion, ginger and garlic and sauté until the onion is golden brown.
- Add the chana masala, red chilli powder, mango powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and salt and sauté for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes paste and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the chick peas and 1 cup of water and mix well.
- Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes and set aside.
Ingredients 1st option for Bhaturey
- ½ cup of Potatoes (boiled & grated)
- ½ cup of All-Purpose Flour (Maida)
- Salt (to taste)
- 1 ½ tsp. of Cooking Oil
- More Cooking Oil (for deep frying)
- Combine the flour, potato, 1 ½ teaspoons of oil and salt and knead into a firm dough without using any water.
- Knead the dough very well until it is smooth.
- Cover with a wet muslin cloth and rest the dough for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal parts and roll out into circles of 125 mm. (5″) diameter.
- Deep fry in hot oil until the bhaturas puff up and both sides are golden brown.
- Serve hot with the cholay, sliced onion, green chillies, fresh coriander and lemon wedges.
2nd Option For Bhatura:
- 2 cups all purpose flour (maida)
- A pinch of baking soda
- 1 tbsp. ghee or oil
- Curd (yogurt) to knead a dough
- Salt to taste
- Oil to deep fry
Method for 2nd option of Bhatura:
- Combine flour, soda, oil and salt in a bowl.
- Add enough curd to knead into a soft dough.
- Cover with a wet cloth. Keep aside for 5-6 hours.
- Knead the dough again.
- Divide the dough and shape into balls.
- Roll into thick rounds.