Classic Caesar Salad Dressing Anchovies
A favorites and a classic caesar salad dressing anchovies, this Caesar salad is topped with garlicky Parmesan croutons. If you do not want to use raw egg yolks in this dressing, omit the egg yolks and increase the lemon juice to ¼ cup and add 2 tbsp mayonnaise.
6 to 8 servings
Tasty Classic Caesar Salad shared by Marium Hamid
- 2 – heads romaine
- 1 – large clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp – capers, rinsed and minced
- 2 to 3 – anchovy fillets, mashed with a fork
- 2 fresh – egg yolks
- 1/4 tsp – dry mustard
- 2 tbsp – lemon juice
- 1/2 cup – extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper – to taste
- 1/2 cup – shaved Parmesan
Tear the romaine leaves into bite size pieces. Wash and dry leaves well. Set aside.
FOR THE DRESSING:
- Mix together the garlic, capers and anchovies to form a paste.
- Add the egg yolks, dry mustard and lemon juice. Whisk to combine.
- Continue to whisk and add the olive oil in a slow steady stream until all the oil is incorporated and the dressing
- is thick and smooth.
- Season the dressing with salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate the dressing for 30 minutes to develop extra flavor.
- Place the romaine in a large bowl.
- Pour the dressing down the sides of the bowl and toss to coat the leaves evenly.
- Add the parmesan croutons and toss.
- Garnish the salad with shaved Parmesan.
- About ½ baguette (day-old)
- 4 small cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut baguette into ¾-inch cubes. You need about 2 cups. Set aside.
- Add garlic and butter to a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Heat until the butter has completely melted and starts to bubble but not brown.
- Remove from the heat and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Strain the butter and discard the garlic cloves.
- In a large bowl, toss the bread cubes with the garlic butter to evenly coat.
- Transfer them to a large baking sheet and bake until golden brown and crispy, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer croutons to large bowl and while still warm, toss with Parmesan cheese.