Cucur udang are actually Prawn Fritters and this is a Malaysian famous starter. Cucur udang (Prawn Fritters) Recipe is one of the traditional recipe in Malaysia, that is also suitable for use as the evening menu. Prawn Fritters can be found at night markets or they are often sold at a stall at the roadside. But I believe you made prawn fritters certainly more delicious.
Cucur udang (Prawn Fritters) Recipe
Shared by Marium Hamid
- Plain flour – 5 tbsp heaped
- Self rising flour – 1 tbsp heaped
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Water – 250 ml
- Beans sprout – 100 gm
- Garlic chives (also known as Chinese chives) – 50 gm cut about an inch long
- King prawns – 6
- Cooking oil for frying – 1 liter
- In a bowl, add in plain flour, self rising flour, turmeric powder and salt.
- Add in water bit by bit until mixture turn to smooth batter.
- Heat up cooking oil with medium heat. When ready, gently fold in with fingers or spoon a handful of beansprouts, a pinch of chives and prawns.
- Make a small ball of the mixture and gently drop it into cooking oil.
- Try to get a flat fritter when dropping it into cooking oil, so the mixture will be cooked inside.
- Fry for a couple of minutes until crispy golden brown, can be made into smaller size if preferred.
- Scoop it out of cooking oil and the fritter is now ready to serve.
- Suggest serving with peanut or chilli sauce.