Falafel Burger Recipe
Servings : 4
- Chickpeas (kabuli chana), soaked overnight – 1 cup
- Garlic, chopped – 2-3 cloves
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped – 2 tablespoons
- Fresh parsley, chopped – 2 tablespoons
- Spring onion greens, chopped – 4-5 stalks
- Bread crumbs – 1/4 cup
- Soda bicarbonate – a small pinch
- Roasted cumin powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 teaspoon
- Paprika – 1/2 teaspoon
- Oil – to deep fry
FOR YOGURT SAUCE:
- Hung yogurt – 1/2 cup
- Cream – 2 tablespoons
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic, chopped – 3-4 cloves
- Fresh parsley, chopped – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon juice – 1/2 tablespoon
- Cucumber, cut into ribbons with peel – 1 medium
- Burger buns – 8 or Pitta Bread
- Butter – as required
- Lettuce, halved – 4 leaves
- Cheese slices, quartered – 2
- Cucumber, sliced – 1 medium
- Tomato, sliced – 1 large
- Drain the chickpeas and dry on a kitchen towel.
- Grind the chickpeas along with garlic, coriander leaves, parsley, spring onion greens and breadcrumbs in a food processor to a coarse mixture.
- Add soda bicarbonate and cumin powder and mix well.
- Season with salt, pepper powder and paprika. Knead the mixture well and allow it to refrigerate for a couple of hours.
- Take the mixture in a tablespoon dampened with water and shape it from top with another damp tablespoon.
- Many falafels can be shaped like this and stored on a greased plate in a refrigerator prior to frying.
- Heat sufficient oil in a kadai and deep-fry the falafels till golden brown. Drain and place on an absorbent paper and set aside.
- Mix all the ingredients of yogurt sauce and chill till required.
- Apply salt to cucumber ribbons and set aside.
- Cut the burger buns or pitta bread into half and apply butter.
- On the base half of each bun place a lettuce leaf, quartered cheese slice, cucumber slice and tomato slice.
- Place fried falafel patties on it and top with yogurt sauce and cucumber ribbons. Cover each with upper half of the buns.
- Serve immediately.