Mackerels, either whole or in pieces, marinated with spices and deep fried.
4 big mackerels cut into 2-3 pieces each and insides cleaned thoroughly
1 teaspoon(s) turmeric powder
1 tablespoon(s) lemon juice
4 teaspoon(s) red chilli powder
1 tablespoon(s) garlic paste
1 tablespoon(s) ginger paste
1 teaspoon(s) coriander powder
1 tablespoon(s) tamarind pulp or kokum peels pulp
4 tablespoon(s) slightly coarse rice powder
salt to taste
oil to deep fry
onion rings and lemon wedges to garnish (optional)
1. Wash the mackerels thoroughly. Apply some salt, turmeric powder and lemon juice. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
2. Marinate the mackerels with the rest of the ingredients except rice powder preferably in a refrigerator for about an hour.
3. Heat the oil till it is very hot. Roll the mackerels in rice powder one by one and and deep-fry in batches on medium heat till they are crisp.
Garnish with onion rings and lemon wedges.
* Mackerels can be fried whole as well. Clean the insides, wash well and make deep incisions or gashes on both sides and proceed as above.
* To make this recipe a low fat one, the marinated mackerels can also be shallow fried or grilled with a minimum amount of oil instead of deep frying.
* Traditionally, fried fish is made very spicy and had with steamed rice and gravy. Fried mackerels can also be had as a snack with a dip or a chutney.