How to Cook Sarson Ka Saag: English – Urdu Recipe |
How to Cook Sarson Ka Saag
- Mustard greens – 1 kg (Sarson leaves)
- Bathua – 200gm
- Spinach – ½ kg
- Green chillies – 6 roughly chopped
- Ginger – 1 inch roughly chopped
- Water – 2 cups
- Wash thoroughly all the greens in water and let the extra water drain through a sieve.
- Chop all the leaves of mustard, bathua and spinach and keep them separately aside.
- Take a big pot, 2 cups of water, bring to boil and add a tsp of oil, mustard greens, chopped bathua, spinach leaves, green chillies and ginger, cook until the leaves are tender.
- Do not cover the vessel with lid otherwise you will lose the beautiful green colour of the greens.
- Better to cook in pressure cooker, to save green colour of vegetables.
- Now grind it into a coarse puree, do not grind it to a smooth paste.
- Onion – 1 finely chopped
- Ghee or oil – ¾ cup
- Garlic – 5 cloves chopped
- Ginger – 1 tbsp finely chopped
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Dry red whole chilli – 6 to 8
- Tomato – 3 blended
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Corn meal – ¼ cup
- Fresh butter – 2 tbsp for serving
- In a pot or pan heat ¾ cup ghee or oil, heat it up and add chopped onion, cumin seeds, red whole chilli, finely chopped ginger and garlic, fry till slightly brown.
- Then add blended tomato and fry for 1 minute.
- Then add turmeric powder, red chilli powder, ground puree and salt, fry well.
- Then add corn meal and cook on dum for 5 minutes.
- When the fat gets separated switch off the flame.
- Serve with fresh butter and squeeze in lemon juice.