When we suffer from underarm odor most of us become desperate to find ways to eliminate it completely. And there are a number of ways to eliminate underarm odor. One of the simplest ways to get rid of it is to wash your body with both soap and water daily (more than once a day in summer if possible) especially in the underarms which is more likely to smell because sweat from the underarms does not evaporate as readily as sweat from more exposed surfaces of the body.
However what we have discussed so far are mainly temporary measures. In order to achieve long-term freedom from underarm odor we recommend the following natural antiperspirants:
- Use a crystal rock made from the mineral salt potassium alum instead of a deodorant. It might not keep you dry as prescription antiperspirants will but it effectively clogs your sweat glands and is free of the chemical called aluminum chlorohydrate that is present in the strongest antiperspirants which may lead to future health problems.
- Apple cider vinegar is also helpful in eliminating underarm odor when used in place of a deodorant because it reduces the pH of the skin and odor-causing bacteria can’t survive in areas of the skin with low pH
- White vinegar is another helpful tool in eliminating underarm odor. You can soak some cotton ball in it and apply to the underarms instead of a deodorant. The vinegary smell will be gone within minutes and you will be odor-free all day
- Baby powder and baby wipes if used daily in areas that display heavy perspiration also work but the results may be temporary
- You can also use baking soda for its ‘odor-eating’ capability. Just apply the powder to your dry underarms. It will kill bacteria and help absorb perspiration. You can also use cornstarch instead or mix it with the baking soda to form an effective combination
- Bauxite crystals work very well in controlling underarm odor.
- Parsley alfalfa and other leafy greens should be included in the diet because they can actually help in neutralizing body odor owing to the deodorizing effect of the chlorophyll present in these leaves
- Extract the juice of about two dozen radishes mix this with ¼ teaspoon of glycerin and use as an underarm deodorant
- If you dilute 8-10 drops of rosemary oil in an ounce of water you can use the resulting mixture as a wonderful natural deodorant
- Drinking a cup of sage herb tea daily helps in reducing sweat gland activity. This is especially true if you perspire excessively owing to tension. You can mix 1½ teaspoons of dried sage or two tea bags in one cup of water steep for 10 minutes and drink in small doses throughout the day
- You can make yet another natural deodorant by diluting two drops of essential oil in an ounce of water and apply to the underarms
- Turnip juice is another effective way to reduce underarm odor sometimes for as long as 10 hours. You can grate a turnip and squeeze the juice through cheesecloth so that you have two teaspoonfuls. Wash your underarms first and vigorously rub one teaspoonful of turnip juice under each one
- Take 500 mg of wheat grass daily on an empty stomach and wash it down with a glass of water. The chlorophyll will dramatically reduce underarm odor.