How to Make Gol Gappay Recipe (Pani Puri): English - Urdu | Pak Ladies
How to Make Gol Gappay Recipe (Pani Puri): English – Urdu
Gol Gappay Recipe (Pani Puri)
Ingredients for making Gol Gappay:
- Sooji (Semolina) 1/2 cup
- Maida (Plain Refined Flour) 1/2 cup
- Soda – ½ tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for Frying
- Oil – 2 tbsp
Method for Gol Gappay:
- Mix semolina, plain flour, Cooking Soda salt, 2 tablespoons of oil and knead well to make dough, leave it bit stiffer than normal.
- Cover it with a wet towel and let it stand for 20 minutes.
- Now make very small balls and roll them into small circles.
- Remember not to make the circles bigger as they have to be eaten whole.
- Remember to put the circles under a damp cloth as soon as you roll them.
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed pan and then fry them.
- The idea is to puff them like a sphere and fry them till golden brown.
- Take them out and put them on kitchen paper towel, to get rid of the extra oil.
- Let them completely cool down (otherwise they will become soggy) before you put them into an airtight container.
Ingredients for spicy pani or spicy water:
- Chopped Mint Leaves 1 1/2 cups
- Chopped Coriander Leaves 1 tbsp.
- Tamarind – 1/3 cup
- Ginger 1″
- Green chillies – 4 to 5
- Ground Cumin Seed (roasted) 1 tsp.
- Kala Namak (Black Salt) 1 1/2 tsp.
- Salt to taste
Method for making spicy water or Pani:
- Soak the tamarind pulp in one cup of warm water for one hour.
- Strain the tamarind residue out to get thick tamarind water. While straining in the strainer mash the tamarind with the help of a spoon.
- Put mint leaves, chopped coriander, ginger, chillies and dry roasted cumin seed.
- Add a little water and mix to a smooth consistency using a blender.
- Put this thick paste into a jug and add fill the jug with water. (Add the water slowly and taste the mixture and if you want to dilute more then add water.)
- Add salt and black rock salt to taste. (Black Salt or Kala Namak is an important ingredient in this)
- Put it in the fridge to cool down.
Ingredients for Red Tamarind Chutney:
- Tamarind 1 cup
- Jaggery – ½ cup
- Sugar 2 tbsp.
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Black pepper powder – ¼ tsp
- Dry Roasted cumin powder 1 tsp
- Cloves – 2
- Warm water – 2 cups
- Vegetable oil 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
Method for Red Tamarind Chutney:
- Remove the seeds from tamarind and soak it in warm water for one hour.
- Meanwhile dry roast the cumin seeds and the cloves.
- Pound them into coarse powder.
- Now take the Tamarind pulp mixture, strain it and add jaggery, sugar, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, roasted cumin powder, cloves and salt.
- Put the mixture in a pan and heat for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove from heat and let it cool down.
- Note that on cooling down it will thicken up a bit, consistency like thick cream is ok. Otherwise you may want to add some warm water.
- On cooling, blend the contents in a blender.
- Boiled Potato finely chopped /mashed and mixed with salt and red chilli.
- Boiled chick peas.
How to Serve:
- Poke a small hole in the centre of the Gol Gappa (or Puri).
- Add some mashed boiled potato small quantity of mashed potatoes as filling. Add a little Red Tamarind Chutney.
- Dip it in the spicy water (or pour some spicy water in it)