How to Make Horchata with Rice. A very easy way to make great horchata recipe at home. In Spain, horchata made from tigernuts, water, and sugar. Originally from Valencia, the idea of making horchata from tigernuts comes from the period of Muslim presence in Valencia (from the eighth to thirteenth centuries). It is served ice cold in the summer, often served with fartons.
How to Make Horchata with Rice
- Uncooked white long-grain rice – 1 cup
- Water – 5 cups
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 tbsp
- Ground cinnamon – 1/2 tbsp
- White sugar – 2/3 cup
- Pour the rice and water into the bowl of a blender; blend until the rice just begins to break up, about 1 minute.
- Let rice and water stand at room temperature for a minimum of 3 hours.
- Strain the rice water into a pitcher and discard the rice.
- Stir the milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and sugar into the rice water.
- Chill and stir before serving over ice.