- 6 cups of buttermilk or diluted curd (yoghurt)
- Water to dilute if needed
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon besan(bengal gram flour)
For the pakoday:
- 1 cup besan
- 3-4 green chillies chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp jeera
- A pinch of hing
- 1/2 bunch methi leaves, chopped finely
- 1/2 bunch coriander leaves, chopped finely
- 3 garlic flakes, chopped finely
- 1 grern chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp saunf, powdered
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp dhania(coriander) powder
- A pinch of hing(asoefetida)
- Mix the turmeric, salt and the besan in the buttermilk, add 2-3 cups of water and bring to a boil on low heat, stiring continuously. Set aside.
- Mix all the pakoday ingredients with a little water in a bowl,to get the consistency of thick batter.
- Make small round balls with the batter and deep fry in oil till golden brown.
- Drain oil and add to the buttermilk.
- Prepare the seasoning and add to the buttermilk.
- Serve hot with plain rice.