Karela Gosht: English - Urdu Recipe | Pak Ladies
Karela Gosht: English – Urdu Recipe
- lean lamb – 900g cubed ,on or off the bone
- bitter gourd – 900g
- Salt – to taste
- Ghee or oil
- Onions – 225g sliced into rings or half rings
- Fresh ginger – grated 1 ½”
- Garlic cloves – crushed – 6-8
- Turmeric – ½ tsp
- Ground coriander – 2 tsp
- Red chilli powder – 2 tsp
- Ripe tomatoes – 225g chopped
- Raw mango – ½ peeled and grated or
- Lemon juice – 4 tbsp
- Prepare the bitter gourd -slice into fine rings, sprinkle with salt and set aside for about half an hour.
- Then rinse and remove as much water as possible.
- Heat some oil and fry the bitter gourd to a golden brown.
- Drain and set aside. Now add the onions to the pan and again fry to a golden brown.
- Drain and set aside. You will be able to drain a fair bit of oil from both these.
- Next, add the garlic, ginger, turmeric, coriander, red chilli powder and salt to the same oil and sauté for a few minutes before adding the meat.
- Brown the meat and then add the chopped tomatoes and a little water.
- Cook covered on low heat for 45min to 1 hour or until the meat is just about done.
- Then add the previously fried bitter gourd and onions cover and cook gently for another five minutes.
- Stir in the mango or lemon juice and cook for a few minutes more on low heat.
- Serve with chopped green chillies and fresh coriander.