Dry and spicy chicken preparation in thick red gravy…
KOLHAPURI SUKKA CHICKEN
- Chicken – 1 medium (Cut into 12 pieces on the bone)
- Oil – 5 tbsp
- Whole dry red chillies – 3-4
- Onion chopped – 1 medium
- Ginger paste – 2 tsp
- Garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Nutmeg powder – a pinch
- Kolhapuri dry chutney – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped – 2 tbsp
- Sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
- Poppy seeds – 2 tbsp
- Black pepper – 6-8
- Black cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
- Green cardamoms – 3-4
- Black cardamoms – 1
- Cloves – 4-5
- Mace powder – 1/4 tsp
- Dry coconut – 1 tbsp
- Degi whole dry chillies – 8-10
- Dry roast sesame seeds, poppy seeds, black peppercorns, caraway seeds, cinnamon, green cardamoms, black cardamom, cloves and mace separately.
- Cool and grind with dry coconut and bedgi red chillies to a fine paste, adding a little water.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker, add whole dry red chillies, stir-fry briefly, remove and reserve for garnish. Add onion to the same oil and sauté till golden brown.
- Add ginger paste and garlic paste and cook on medium heat for a few seconds.
- Stir in the ground paste and cook further for three to four minutes on medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken pieces, mix well and cook on high heat, stirring continuously, for two to three minutes.
- Add half a cup of water and continue cooking on medium heat for three to four minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add turmeric powder, grated nutmeg, Kolhapuri dry chutney and salt. Close the cooker and pressure cook till two whistles are given out. Open the lid when the pressure has reduced.
- The masala should be quite thick and dry. Serve hot garnished with coriander leaves and fried dry red chillies.