Malai Chicken Tikka
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1\2 tsp salt
- 2 boneless and skinless chicken breasts , approx 310g (11 oz), cut into 2cm (4/5 inch) pieces
- 2 tbsp Greek-style natural unsweetened yogurt
- 30g (1 oz) butter
- 1 tbsp double cream
- 1tbsp adrak lahsun ka masala (see below)
- 3 green cardamoms, seeds only
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 green finger chillies, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp Cheddar cheese, finely grated
• Sprinkle lemon juice and salt over the chicken pieces, cover and set aside.
• Mix the yogurt, half the butter, the cream , adrak lahsun ka masala, cardamoms, cumin, nutmeg, chillies, the oil, and cheese and blend into a smooth paste. Pour over the chicken, making sure it is all well coated, and marinate the meat for 1 hour, covered, in the refrigerator.
• Soak 4 – 6 wooden skewers in cold water for 15 minutes to prevent them burning. Skewer the chicken and barbecue, or grill under a preheated grill, for 10 minutes on each side until light brown and cooked through, or simply bake in a preheated 180°C / 350°F / gas mark 4 oven for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked.
• Halfway through cooking, baste with the remaining butter (melted).
• Serve hot or cold on the skewers with zeers rice or khasta roti.
Adrak Lahsun ka Masala – Ginger and garlic Paste
115g (4oz) root ginger peeled and coarsley chopped
115g (4oz) garlic cloves
• In a food processor blend the ginger and garlic together to a smooth paste.
• If necessary, add 15 ml (1 tbsp) cold water.
• Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.