- 1 tablespoon vegetable or other light flavored oil
- 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red chili, finely sliced
- 2 teaspoons nigella seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4-5 mangoes, slightly under ripe, peeled and chopped (1kg chopped weight)
- 1½ cups (330 g) caster sugar
- 400 ml white vinegar
- salt, to taste
NOTE: Makes approximately 4 jars.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Gently cook the ginger, garlic and chili for 1 minute.
- Add the spices and cook for a further minute.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer about 1 hour until the chutney has reduced, thickened and become jam-like. Add salt to taste.
- Pour chutney into sterilized jars.
- Seal the jars and allow the chutney to cool completely, store refrigerated.