Whole Leg of Lamb in A Spicy Sauce,,,
Raan Masaledar Recipe:
5 lb leg of lamb
- 2 oz Almonds, blanched
- 1/2 lb Onions, coarsely chopped
- 8 Garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 Cubes ginger, 1″, peeled ;chopped coarsely
- 4 Green chillies, chopped
- 20 fl Yoghurt, plain
- 2 tblsp Cumin seed, ground
- 4 tsp Coriander seed, ground
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Garam masala
- 6 tblsp Vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp Whole cloves
- 16 Cardamom pods
- 1 Cinnamon stick, 2″ long
- 10 Peppercorns, black
- 4 tblsp Sultana raisins
- 1/2 oz Almonds, blanched, slivered
- Make sure that all the fat has been trimmed from the outside of the leg and that most of the fell (parchment-like white skin) has been pulled off.
- Put the leg in a baking dish made, preferably, of pyrex or stainless steel.
- Put the 2 oz. almonds, onions, garlic, ginger, green chilies, and 3 tablespoons of the yogurt into the container of a food processor or blender and blend until you have a paste.
- Put the remaining yogurt into a bowl.
- Beat lightly with a fork or a whisk until it is smooth and creamy.
- Add the paste from the processor, the cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt and garam masala, mix.
- Push some of the spice paste into all the openings in the lamb.
- Be quite generous. (You need to ask the butcher to make a deep pocket to hold a “stuffing”, in this case, some spice paste mixture, or make a pocket yourself).
- Spread the paste evenly on the underside of the leg (the side that originally had less fat).
- Now, using a small, sharp, pointed knife make deep slashes in the meat, and push in the spice paste with your fingers.
- Turn the leg over so its outer side (the side that was once covered with fat) is on the top. Spread a very thick layer of paste over it. Again, make deep slashes with the knife and push the spice paste into the slashes.
- Pour all the remaining spice paste over and around the meat. Cover with plastic cling film and refrigerate for 24 hours.
- Take the baking dish with the meat out of the refrigerator and let the meat come to room temperature.
- Remove the cling film. Heat the oil in a small frying pan over a medium flame.
- When hot, put in the cloves, cardamom, cinnamon and peppercorns.
- When the cloves swell – this takes just a few seconds – pour the hot oil and spices over the leg of lamb.
- Preheat the oven gas mark 6, 400 F.
- Cover the baking dish tightly either with its own lid or with a large piece of aluminium foil then Bake, covered, for 1 hour 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake uncovered for 45 minutes. Baste 3-4 times with the sauce during this period.
- Sprinkle, the sultanas and the 1/2 oz. almonds over the top of the leg and bake for another 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and let it sit in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Take the leg out of the pan and set it on a warm platter.
- Spoon off all the fat from the top of the sauce.
- Use a slotted spoon and take it out all the whole spice from the sauce.
- Discard the spices, pour the sauce around the leg.
Notes: Serve the sauce separately, in a gravy boat. It is delicious!