Shared By: Marium Hamid, Arksansas (USA)
Rajma Red Kidney Beans
- 1 (15oz.) can of Red Kidney Beans (drained)
- 2 medium Onions (chopped)
- 6 plum Tomatoes (chopped)
- 4 cloves of Garlic (Lehsan) (minced)
- 2 tbsp. of Fresh Ginger Root (Adark) (minced)
- 6 sprigs of Cilantro/Coriander Leaves (Hara Dhaniya) (minced)
- 5 Whole Cloves (Laung)
- 10 Black peppercorns (Saabut Kaali Mirch)
- 1 (1-inch) piece of Cinnamon Stick (Dal Cheeni)
- 1 Bay Leaf (Tezz Patta)
- 1 tsp. of Red Chili Powder (Pisi Lal Mirch) (or to taste)
- 3 tbsp. of Canola Oil
- Salt to taste
- Water (as needed)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat.
- Stir in cloves, whole black peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamom, and bay leaf.
- Cover the pan as the pepper tends to splutter right out of the pan and cause burns! Let heat for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add slice onions.
- Sauté until the onions are soft and almost translucent.
- Mix in the tomatoes and sauté well. (For great taste, sauté until almost dry).
- Raise the stovetop’s temperature to a medium heat.
- Add garlic and ginger and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in the chili powder, red kidney beans, and salt; mix well. Slowly add water a small amount at a time.
- You are adding water to create gravy, only add water until the gravy has reached in consistency that you would like.
- For smoother gravy, cool and blend the sautéed mixture before adding the red kidney beans.
- Garnish with cilantro.