These delicious, exotic Sfiha Arab pizzas are traditional in Lebanon and Syria. They make perfect appetizers or entrées.
Sfiha Arab Pizza
Shared by Marium Hamid
Ingredients for dough:
- Dry active yeast – 1 tsp
- Warm water – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 tsp
- All-purpose bread flour – 3 cups
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Extra virgin olive oil – 1/3 cup
- Dried mint or oregano (optional) or anise, seeds (optional) – 1 tsp
- Egg whites – 2
Ingredients for filling:
- Onion, finely chopped and drained of juices – 1-2
- Chili pepper, finely chopped – 1
- Ground lamb or beef – 18 oz
- Yogurt – 3/4 cup
- Pomegranate concentrate – 3 tbsp
- Cumin – 1 tsp
- Paprika – 1 tsp
- Salt and pepper
- Pine nuts (Chilgoza) – 1/3 cup
- Tomato paste (optional) – 2 tbsp
- Dissolve the yeast with the sugar in 1/2 cup of the water, leave in a warm place for 10 minutes, or until it begins to froth.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl and stir in the olive oil. Add the yeast mixture and slowly add enough of the remaining water to hold the dough together in a ball.
- Knead vigorously for about 10 minutes until the dough comes off the sides of the bowl and becomes smooth and elastic. Towards the end of the kneading, add the flavorings, if desired.
- Pour a small amount (1/2 tablespoon) of olive oil in the bowl and roll the dough in it to grease it over.
- Leave in a warm area for 1-1/2 – 2 hours. (Should be doubled in size).
- Cut the dough into 9 pieces and roll each out thinly on a flat floured surface. Roll out to 7 inch circles.
- Place the rounds on oiled baking sheets and brush with egg whites. Cook in a preheated 450 degree oven for 10 minutes, turn over and brush the other side with egg whites. Cook for another 8 minutes.
- Let them cool enough to handle.
- Mix the filling ingredients together and work with your hands into a soft paste. Take even lumps of the mixture and spread thickly over each pastry round.
- Bake in the oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.