Shahi tukra Pakistani recipe — a rich, royal Mughlai dessert of fried sugar syrup coated bread topped and soaked with fragrant creamy sweet thickened milk or rabri and garnished with dry fruits. Perfect for Dholki, Mehandi etc.
Shahi Tukra Pakistani Recipe
- White bread – 10 slices
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Milk – 2 cups
- Nuts (cashews, sliced almonds, pistachios) – 3 tbsp
- Raisins – 1 tbsp
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Saffron – 5 strands
- Ghee + Oil – Enough to deep fry slices (You can use ghee or oil or mix of both)
- Remove bread edges and cut bread into triangle or square shape slices.
- Toast them in oven at 200°F (93.3333°C) until dry. This process takes out moisture from bread which helps to absorb less ghee when deep frying. used to sun dry the bread or use couples of days old bread.
- Boil milk in a heavy bottomed pan and then reduce heat to simmer and cook until milk reduces to ¾ to its original quantity.
- Keep stirring milk to avoid solids sticking to the bottom and burning.
- Add half of cardamom powder and keep them aside.
- Toast nuts in ghee and keep them aside.
- In batches, deep fry dried bread slices in ghee to golden brown color and place them on absorbent paper.
- In another pan, boil sugar and water until the syrups thickens little bit.
- Add remaining cardamom powder.
- Add few fried bread slices to sugar syrup until bread slices are soft.
- Arrange softened slices in a serving bowl.
- Do previous step with the remaining fried bread slices in batches.
- Discard syrup if there is any left over or use it for other recipes.
- Pour warm milk on softened bread slices and garnish with toasted nuts.
- Serve warm or chilled depending on your preference.