Vanilla Ice Cream (6 servings)
• 1 vanilla pod or reel vanilla extract
• 1 1/4 pints (700ml) milk
• 6 egg yolks
• 10 oz (275g) caster sugar
• a pinch of salt
- If using a vanilla pod, halve it length ways and put it into a heavy saucepan with the milk.
- Heat gently to near boiling point, then remove from the heat and set it aside for 30 minutes
- If using vanilla extract, no need to heat the milk.
- Add vanilla extract to taste once the custard has cooled
- Combine the egg yolks, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk until the mixture is very pale and falls back leaving a trail when the beaters are lifted.
- Strain the milk and gradually whisk it in.
- Return the mixture to the pan and cook it over a very low heat, or in the top of a double boiler, string constantly until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove the custard from the heat and set it aside to cool, stirring it time to time to prevent a skin formation.
- Vanilla extract should be added at this point nothing that the flavour will fade with freezing.
- Freeze in a freezer, vigorously whisking the partially frozen ice at least once during the freezing process.