Vegetable Rice Recipe
Vegetable pulav is a mix of spicy vegetables rice recipe. This is a great dish for lunch. If you are not in the mood to prepare a big meal, use vegetable pulav as a one-dish meal. Serve with yogurt, pickle, papadam or chutney.
Serves 2 to 4
Ingredients for rice
- 1 cup basmati or long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
Ingredients for vegetables
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1 medium sized potato, chopped into 1/2″ cubes
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 long sliced green peppers
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* For garnish:
2 tablespoons minced fresh corriander
Preparing the rice
- Heat the oil in a saucepan. Test the oil by adding one cumin seed; if seed cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add cumin seeds after cumin seeds crack add bay leaves and stir for few seconds.
- Next add the rice. Stir-fry for 2 minutes.
- Add water and salt, bring to a boil and turn the heat to low. Cover the pan.
- Cook about 15 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the water has evaporated.
- Turn off the heat and fluff the rice with a fork.
Preparing the vegetables:
- Use a frying pan to cook the vegetables.
- Add the vegetables in steps, the vegetables that need the most time to cook are added first and the vegetables that need the least time will be added last.
- Heat the oil in frying pan. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil; if it cracks right away oil is ready.
- Add cumin seeds after cumin seeds crack, add potatoes, stir-fry them for about 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower and carrots. Let them cook for about another 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next add green peas, bell pepper, ginger and green chilies.
- Let the vegetables cook for a few minutes till vegetables are tender.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add garam masala and lemon juice.
- Next gently fold the rice into the vegetables.
- Transfer to a serving dish and garnish the rice dish with fresh corriander.