French onion soup is actually based on meat stock. Generally, French onion soup recipe specifies that the onions should be cooked slowly, becoming caramelized but now you can prepare this recipe quick just to fry onion and add flour to thicken the soup. Serve this soup as a starter and enjoy.
French Onion Soup Recipe
- Chicken stock – 4 cups
- Butter – 3 tbsp
- Onion – 1 cup chopped
- Celery – 2 tbsp chopped
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Flour – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- White pepper – 1 tsp
- French bread – 1 cut in slices
- Egg whites – 2
- Take a pan, heat up oil and butter. Then fry onion until light pink.
- Then add celery and fry until onion turns into golden brown.
- Then add flour and fry until you can smell the aroma of flour.
- Now add chicken stock, salt and white pepper.
- Bring to boil for 1 minute.
- Then pour in serving bowls, on top place two slices of french bread.
- Then pour egg white and cover with 1 tbsp of cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven on 180°C until cheese melts and egg whites turn golden brown.
- Serve immediately.