How to Make Bhindi Gosht (Mutton with Okra) with Gravy
Learn how to make bhindi gosht, okra, known as lady’s fingers and bhindi as well. Okra is a popular health food due to its high fiber, vitamin C, and folate content. Okra is also known for being high in antioxidants and is also often eaten as part of a weight loss diet since it is both fat-free and cholesterol-free. Okra is also a good source of calcium and potassium.
Okra has mucilage, which has been shown to have medicinal qualities when used as a plasma replacement. The mucilage in okra binds cholesterol and bile acids that are carrying toxins produced by the liver. This is one of the most popular vegetable of summer season. Try out this recipe of lady finger or okra curry prepared with mutton.
- Mutton – ½ kg
- Bhindi (okra) – ½ kg
- Onion – 3
- Ginger – 1 medium piece
- Garlic – 6 to 7 cloves
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – ¼ cup
- Yogurt – 125gm or ½ cup
Whole Garam masala:
- Bay leaf – 1
- Cloves – 10
- Whole black pepper – ½ tsp
- Cinnamon stick – 1
- Star anise – ½
- Big cardamoms – 3
- Green cardamoms – 6
- White cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Wash Okra under running water, dry with tea cloth or just spread in a tray for some time.
- Now cut Okra by removing head and tail into half inch slices.
- Then fry Okra in medium hot oil until tender, but make sure color will be green, not brown.
- Remove Okra from oil and set aside.
- Now add onion, ginger and garlic cloves with ½ cup of water in a blender and make a paste.
- Take a pan, heat up oil and fry onion paste for 2 to 3 minutes, add whole garam masala fry for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Then add turmeric powder, red chili powder, coriander powder and salt, mix and fry for 2 minutes.
- Now add mutton and fry for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Then add yogurt, fry for few minutes, add 1 cup water.
- Cover and cook on low heat until mutton is tender.
- Then add fried bhindi, mix and cook for 2 minutes on high flame, then put on dum for 2 minutes.
- Dish out, sprinkle garam masala powder and serve with chapatti or tandoori naan.