Shared By: Marium Hamid, Arksansas (USA)
This recipe of achari baingan uses baingan without deep frying them. Achari means using spices which are used in pickling. This recipe is for all baingan lovers.
- Eggplants (baingan/ brinjal) – 3 to 4
- Onion- chopped – 1 medium
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Tomatoes 3 chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Nigella seeds (kalonji/ onion seeds) – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Mustard seeds (kali sarson) – ½ tsp
- Methi dana (fenugreek seeds) – ¼
- Fennel seeds (saunf) – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – ½ tsp
- Mustard oil – 1 ½ tbsp
Cut baingan in thick pieces. Heat mustard oil to smoking point in a pan.
Add kalonji, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, methi dana and saunf. When they change color, add sauté onion till light brown.
Add ginger- garlic paste and sauté for 1 minute.
Add tomatoes. Add turmeric, coriander and red chilli powders and salt. Cook covered till tomatoes turn soft and pulpy.
Add baingan pieces and mix well. Cook covered for 10 minutes on medium heat. Serve hot achari baingan with roti, paratha or steamed rice.