How to Make Perfect Jalebi
- Plain flour – 250g
- Cooking soda – 2 pinches
- Orange food color – as required
- Oil or Ghee – to fry
- Mix 125 gm flour and cooking soda and make into a smooth and spongy batter using water as required.
- Leave it overnight for fermentation. Whisk the batter in the morning with remaining 125 gm flour add more water if required.
- Add food color as you like, and mix without any lumps. Make the consistency in such a way that when you take this batter and pour it from the top it should fall as a single thread.
- Heat up oil or ghee in a flat bottomed fry pan. Take a thick cloth and make a small hole. Stitch the corner of the hole.
- Pour the batter into this cloth and fold the corners closely and press slowly into the hot oil to form coils side by side.
- Cook till they are light golden color. Remove and drain the oil.
- Keep this in the warm sugar syrup and soak for five minutes.
- Remove each jalebi slowly and serve in a plate.
For sugar syrup:
- Sugar – 3 cups
- Water – 2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tsp
- Make one string sugar syrup by adding little water to the sugar.
- Add saffron and cardamom powder to the syrup.
- Remember syrup should be warm when you put fried jalebi in it, not too hot, otherwise the jalebi will be damaged.
- Make sure that the syrup’s consistency is only 1 string when it cools down, not when it’s hot, because otherwise, the jalebi will become rock hard.