Waldorf salad was first created between 1893 and 1896 at the Waldorf Hotel in New York City. Waldorf salad traditionally is made with fresh apples, celery and walnuts, dressed in mayonnaise, and usually served on a bed of lettuce as an appetizer or a light meal.
Waldorf Salad original recipe did not contain nuts, but they had been added by the time the recipe appeared in The Rector Cook Book in 1928. You can add more variations, such as chicken, grapes, and dried fruit.
- Apple – 3 cored and chopped
- Slightly toasted walnuts – 1/2 cup
- Cabbage – 2 cups chopped
- Spring onion – 2 chopped
- Celery – 2 stem, thinly sliced
- Raisins – 1/4 cup
Ingredients of Dressing:
- Mayonnaise – 1/2 cup
- Cream – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Black pepper – 1/4 tsp
- White pepper – 1/2 tsp
- Lettuce – few leaves
- In a bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, cream, salt, white pepper, black pepper and sugar.
- Then add apple, celery, spring onion, cabbage, walnuts and raisins, mix well.
- Serve on fresh lettuce and enjoy.