Traditional English Christmas cake Recipe is a type of fruitcake served at Christmas time in many countries. A Christmas cake may be light or dark, crumbly-moist to sticky-wet, spongy to heavy, leavened or unleavened, shaped round, square or oblong as whole cakes, fairy cakes, or petit fours, with marzipan, icing, glazing, dusting with icing sugar, or plain. If a Christmas cake is covered in icing, it is quite common for it to be decorated – models of houses, of fir trees or of Santa Claus may be in the array of decorations.
In Northern England, Christmas cake, as with other types of fruit cake, is often eaten with cheese, such as Wensleydale. A cake that may also be served at Christmas time in the United Kingdom, in addition to the traditional Christmas cake, is the cake known as a “chocolate log”. This is a Swiss roll that is coated in chocolate, resembling a log.
Traditional English Christmas Cake Recipe
- Flour – 7 oz
- Eggs – 3
- Cake spice powder – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
- Butter – 6 oz / 150gm
- Black currants – 12 oz
- Golden raisins – 5 oz
- Black raisins – 5 oz
- Orange peel – 2 oz
- Glaze red, green cherries – 2 oz chopped
- Brown sugar – 6 oz
- Almond – 1 oz
- Nutmeg mace – ½ tsp
- Cinnamon – ¼ tsp
- Sugar – 1 tbsp (burnt sugar in a frying pan, then add 2 tbsp water and cook until sugar dissolves)
- In a bowl, put butter and sugar, beat with electric beater.
- Take another bowl and strain flour and baking powder.
- Now add eggs one by one with 1 tbsp of dry mixture and beat well.
- Then add cake spice powder, nutmeg, mace powder, cinnamon powder and sugar syrup.
- Now add all dry fruits in remaining dry flour and add in butter mixture, mix with spatula.
- Transfer this mixture in 8 inch greased cake pan and bake in Pre heated oven on 180ºC, 350ºF and Gas Mark 4 for one hour.
- Cake mixture consistency will not be like a normal cake; it looks a little bit thick.
- When it’s done, let it cool down.
- Then decorate English Christmas Cake with frosting and cherries or silver beads.
Ingredients for Frosting:
- Egg white – 3
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – ½ cup
- Moti silver balls or Cherries – as required
- Beat egg whites until foam, then cook sugar along with water until when you put a drop of syrup in cold water, it turns into a small ball.
- Then beat egg whites again, and during beating, add syrup gradually.
- Then decorate Christmas cake with this frosting.