Egyptian Basbousa Cake
Basbousa is an Egyptian semolina cake drenched in syrup. Semolina treats like basbousa are popular throughout the Middle East and parts of Europe & USA. There are many variations out there, each with their own ingredient twists. Some call for eggs, others (like this one) for yogurt. Some use a honey-based syrup, others use a sugar-based syrup. Some syrups are citrus-flavored — perhaps with orange or tangerine peels — while others get their fragrance from spices like cinnamon or cloves. All semolina desserts are good (TO BE SURE!). Its a Middle Eastern dessert. Its ideal for Ramadan!!!!!!!!!
RECIPE FOR EGYPTIAN BASBOUSA (ALMOND, COCONUT, SEMOLINA CAKE WITH YOGURT)
Egyptian Basbousa Cake
Makes 8 servings
Shared by Marium Hamid
INGREDIENTS FOR THE BATTER:-
- Unsalted butter – 10 tbsp, melted, plus additional soft butter for greasing the pan
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Plain yogurt – 1 cup
- Fine semolina – 1 cup plus 1 cup coarse semolina (OR 2 cups coarse semolina or 2 cups original cream of wheat enriched farina)
- Milk – 1/3 cup
- Baking powder – 1 tsp
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CINNAMON SIMPLE SYRUP:-
- Sugar – 1 1/2 cup
- Water – 1 3/4 cup
- Cinnamon stick – 1
- Lemon juice – 1/4 tsp
- Sweetened shredded coconut or coconut chips – 1/4 cup
- Sliced almonds – 1/4 cup
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (176.667°C). Grease a 9″ round cake pan (NOT GLASS) and line the bottom with parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sugar and yogurt. Stir in the semolina, milk, and baking powder.
- Slowly stir in the melted butter. Let the mixture stand until the butter is absorbed.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, until the top is golden brown and a skewer withdraws clean. (IF NECESSARY, BROIL BRIEFLY TO BROWN THE TOP)
- Meanwhile, while the cake bakes, prepare the cinnamon simple syrup. In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, water, and cinnamon stick.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Turn heat to low and let simmer for 3 to 5 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Cool completely. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- As soon as the cake is removed from the oven, pour the syrup on the hot cake. Let cool completely. (SYRUP MUST BE FULLY ABSORBED INTO THE CAKE)
- Top the basbousa with the coconut and shaved almonds. Slice and serve.