Halwa Poori Cholay
Halwa poori cholay, a desi breakfast consisting of a spicy chickpeas dish, a rich semolina sweet dish and soft yummy poori’s. Perfect breakfast for a lazy weekend.
Recipe Shared by Marium Hamid
Halwa Poori Cholay
Ingredients for Halwa:
- Semolina – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Ghee or butter – 1 cup
- Evaporated milk or whole milk – 1 can or 2 cups
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tsp
- Pinch of color and/or saffron
- Crushed or flaked nuts – for garnishing
Method for Halwa:
- Heat ghee/butter in a pan, add the semolina and fry on low heat until color starts to change and it gives a lovely nutty aroma.
- Keep stirring often so the color is even.
- In the meantime, pour the milk and sugar, saffron or food color into a blender and blend until well combined.
- Once the semolina is golden, slowly add the blended milk and sugar mixture a little at a time.
- Be careful not to pour it all at once because it will splutter.
- Once all the milk is in the semolina, keep stirring and let it cook until most of the moisture is gone.
- Add the cardamom powder, mix it in, then cover and set on low heat to steam for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with nuts before serving.
Ingredients for Cholay:-
- Boiled chickpeas – 2 cups
- Oil – 4 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds/rai – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2-3 chopped
- Garlic paste – 1/4 tsp
- Grated raw mango – 2 tbsp or amchoor powder – 1 tsp
- Chopped tomato – 1
- Tomato paste/puree – 1 tbsp
- Green chilies chopped – 2
- Boiled and cubed potato – 3 medium
- Cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Chopped coriander – for garnishing
Method for The Cholay:
- Heat oil, add mustard seeds and cumin seeds, let them splutter.
- Then add curry leaves, garlic paste, grated mango, 1 chopped chili and chopped tomatoes.
- Cook until tomato has softened, then add turmeric, cumin, chili powders and tomato paste.
- Fry for a minute, then add the chickpeas and potatoes.
- Let the masala coat everything nicely, sprinkle some salt.
- Then add 1 cup water, turn the heat down to low and cover the pot.
- Let it simmer gently on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Then open and mash some of the potatoes and chickpeas just to help thicken the gravy slightly.
- Add the remaining green chilies and the lemon juice.
- Adjust salt and garnish with chopped coriander.
Ingredients for Poori’s:
- All-purpose flour – 1 1/2 cups
- Atta flour – 1/2 cup
- Yogurt – 2 tbsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Baking powder – 1 pinch
- Milk – 2 tbsp
- Warm water – for kneading
- Oil – for deep frying
Method of The Poori’s:-
- Sift the flour, baking powder and salt, then add yogurt and oil.
- Gradually add in the warm water and knead to a soft dough.
- Let it sit for about 20 mins, then divide the dough into 10-12 pieces.
- Roll each one out to about 4 inches diameter.
For Soft Puris Proceed as Follows:
- Heat your oil, make sure it’s quite hot. Put in a poori’s in the hot oil and immediately start splashing hot oil over the top of it with a spoon.
- Gently press down on the poori’s with the back of a wooden spoon or spatula, and you will see it start to puff up.
- Gently press down with the spatula, and wait till it puffs completely, it should take only few seconds.
- Flip the poori’s over and cook the other side until golden brown.
FOR CRISPY POORI’S, YOU NEED TO DO:-
- After you’ve rolled out your poori’s, make small slits all over them.
- This will stop them from puffing up, and they will stay flat and crisp.
- Fry them in the oil on both sides until golden and remove. Drain on paper towels.