Lahmacun Turkish Pizza Recipe | Pak Ladies
Lahmacun Turkish Pizza Recipe
Lahmacun Turkish Pizza
Ingredients for Dough:
- 3/4 teaspoon dried yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Olive oil for bowl & brushing dough
Ingredients for Filling:
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces ground lamb or chuck
- 1 tomato, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kirmizi biber, or combination sweet paprika and cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Combine the yeast and sugar with a little of the warm water, and set aside until mixture is frothy.
- Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl, and make a well in the center.
- Add the yeast mixture, along with the remaining warm water.
- Using your hands, work the mixture into a dough, adding more water if necessary.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until pliable and springy, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl, turning to coat, cover with a damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until dough doubles in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch down risen dough and knead on a lightly floured surface.
- Roll into a log and cut into 2 to 3 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball, place on floured surface and let rest 30 minutes under a towel.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F, and preheat baking sheets, tiles, or a baking stone.
Prepare the filling:
- Melt the butter in a skillet, add the onion and saute until softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the garlic and saute another minute.
- Transfer onion mixture to a large bowl, add remaining ingredients, and mix thoroughly with your fingertips.
- If mixture seems too dry, add a teaspoon of water.
- Place a ball of dough on a floured surface and roll into a round, flat circle, about 1/8-inch thick.
- Place the round on the oiled, preheated baking sheets or tiles.
- Brush the top with olive oil and spread with a thin, even layer of the meat filling, leaving a 1/2-inch border around the edge.
- Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- The dough should still be soft enough to roll up.
- Squeeze a little lemon juice over each of the hot lahmacuns, and serve immediately either flat or rolled up into cones.
CHEESE FILLING ALTERNATIVE:
- 2 1/2 cups white Turkish cheese or feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- Mix all the filling ingredients in a bowl and blend thoroughly.
- Spread a thin layer on each circle of dough.
- Proceed with recipe, but bake for only 6 to 8 minutes.