Kheer dessert also called Pakistani Rice Pudding, Kheer is infused with cardamom and slow cooked for a couple of hours. Simple and tasty recipe, end result is nothing short of magical!
Kheer Rice Pudding Pakistani
Shared by: Marium Hamid
- Whole milk – 4 1/2 cup
- Uncooked rice – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 7 tbsp
- Cardamom pods – 4 to 5
- Crushed nuts to garnish (pistachio, cashews, blanched almonds)
- First, cook the rice in boiling water for 10-12 minutes, until they get really soft and mushy.
- Then strain the rice and with the back of a fork, mash it well until it resembles oatmeal.
- Then, heat up milk along with green cardamoms in a stainless steel deep saucepan and let it come to a gentle simmer.
- Then add rice and sugar. The rice will be clumpy but as it cooks, it will break down.
- Now on very low heat, cook the pudding for 3 hours. Make sure you stir every once in a while. The milk will inevitably catch at the bottom so make sure you use a stainless steel pot.
- After 3 hours of slow cooking, the dessert will have thickened.
- Pour in serving bowls and garnish with crushed nuts.
- Let Kheer cool in serving dish for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- You can keep this in the fridge covered for up to 3 days but who’s even saving for later.